Prem Rawat Maharaji - 1979 Press Articles
In 1979 the public controversy about cults was already starting to fade, as were the cults, especially Prem Rawat's with Darshan the major focus.
Bob Mishler was still revealing the "Word".
- Malibu Guru Maintains Following Despite Rising Mistrust of Cults Los Angeles Times, Jan 12, 1979
- Guru is assailed by one-time follower Redding Record Searchlight, January 23 1979
- Guru becomes object of veneration THE POST, Frederick, Md., Thursday, January 25, 1979
- Brightness of 'Divine Light' guru has dimmed St. Petersburg Times, Sat, Jan 27, 1979
Ted Patrick was revealing the truth about "Holy Water" but for DLM and Prem Rawat, at least, the days of growth were over, except around the waistline.
- Rush to cults growing daily WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, Tuesday, January 9, 1979
- Cults Growing Says 'Rescuer' Milwaukee Sentinel, January 15 1979
- Cults Sophisticated In The Use Of Mind Control Cincinnati Enquirer, Feb 5, 1979
- Breaking the Spell That Binds Washington Post, Feb 6, 1979
- HOLY BUT RICH Indian Gurus Forsake the Simple Life Los Angeles Times, Jun 26, 1979
- Deprogramming: Doctor glad he was Indianapolis University Sagamore, 1979-11-12
- Divine Light Mission loses devotee to Patrick Indianapolis University Sagamore, 1979-11-19
- Deprogramming: what is its ultimate fate? Indianapolis University Sagamore, 1979-11-26
- Divine Light: The Premies see it but it may be invisible to non-believers The Miami Herald * 12 Mar 1979 * Page 21
- Cults Sophisticated In The Use Of Mind Control The Cincinnati Enquirer * Mon, Feb 5, 1979 * Page 23
At this time most of the premie community focus was inward but attempts at recruitment continued, though not very successfully.
- Public Programme THE DAILY GLEANER Friday, January 5, 1979
- Public Programme THE DAILY GLEANER SAYURDAY, January 6, 1979
- Divine Light initiator here THE DAILY GLEANER SATURDAY, January 6, 1979
- Cultural Calendar Sun., Jan. 14, 1979
- Maharaji's Divine Light may shine on Palm Island Miami News, March 8th, 1979
- Divine Light Mission to Move to Miami Washington Post, March 23, 1979
- "I Declare I Will Establish Peace In This World" Los Angeles Times March 25, 1979
- "My Mission In This World Is To Establish Peace" Los Angeles Times March 28, 1979
- Let Us Spray Miami Herald April 8 1979
- "I Declare I Will Establish Peace In This World" Miami Herald April 8 1979
- "You Give Me Love And I Will Give You Peace" Los Angeles Times June 21, 1979
- Guru Maharaj Ji: The Living Perfect Master Miami News June 22, 1979
- Guru Maharaj Ji Initiator THE DAILY GLEANER Monday, August 27, 1979
Some ex-premies were already actively telling their stories and denouncing Prem Rawat publicly having found a more rewarding religion.
- 5 Years With Guru Maharaj Ji DAILY INTELLIGENCER Friday, October 12, 1979
In the deprogramming stakes, Prem Rawat won some and he lost some, devotees that is.
- He seeks to stop 'deprogramming' Chronicle-Telegram Elyria, O., Sat., Nov. 31, 1979
- Guardianship request denied Chronicle-Telegram Elyria, O., Tues., Aug. 21, 1979
- Guru to 'lighten' Miami Chronicle-Telegram Elyria, O., Fri., Mar. 9, 1979
- Maharaj Ji's whereabouts unknown Chronicle-Telegram Elyria, O., Thurs., Oct. 18, 1979
- Parents ask $6 million in brainwashing suit The Tampa Times, 19th November 1979
This small mystery produced the opportunity for a quick joke at Prem Rawat's expense.
- FACES IN THE NEWS SYRACUSE POST-STANDARD / Friday, OCT. 19, 1979
As did this look back at a decade's trivia.
20,000 fill pasture to see Guru Maharaji The Orlando Sentinel, 13 Nov 1979, Page 92_
- A LOOK BACK AT THE '70S Los Angeles Times, Dec. 16, 1979
- Decade marked by much that never happened The Post-Standard SYRACUSE N.Y. Wednesday, DEC. 26, 1979
The neighbours were so unreasonable - Prem Rawat only wanted to fly his jet helicopter 6 times a year.
- Malibu opposes plan to build heliport for Divine Light guru THE TIMES Saturday December 19 1979