This article is based on a Divine Light Mission press release. The reality of the attack on Pat Hal(l)ey and the events occurring afterwards can be found in the more complete, researched articles in the reputable newspapers and magazines listed below. The Penthouse magazine article is the fullest.
Page 2 - Section B – Sun News – Las Cruces, New Mexico - Wednesday, August 22, 1973
Guru Wants To Help
Pat Halley, the notorious pie thrower, was brutally attacked in Detroit by two assailants who then fled the scene. When local members of the Divine Light Mission heard of this incident and became aware that Divine Light Mission personnel or devotees of Guru Maharaj Ji, said to be a 15-year-old perfect master and spiritual head of the Divine Light Mission, might be involved, they notified the young Guru at his residence in Los Angeles.
Guru Maharaj Ji immediately requested that Divine Light Mission conduct a full investigation to see if any information concerning the parties responsible could be brought to light. As a result of this investigation the suspected assailants were located. They confessed their part in the incident and offered to turn themselves in. The local authorities were immediately notified and the suspected assailants are now being held in protective custody.
Local and national officials of Divine Light Mission say they are extremely shocked and appalled by the occurance of this event; for the brutal action taken is in direct opposition to all that the Mission stands for and to the expressed wishes of Guru Maharaj Ji. The young Guru himself said he was amazed when the news was conveyed to him. He expressed his regret at the incident and concern for the welfare of Mr. Halley. He further extended his regrets and condolences to Pat Halley's family and friends with the assurance that Divine Light Mission wishes to help in whatever way possible and to see that persons responsible for this event are brought to justice.
- Guru's Secret Fifth Estate Magazine - September 14, 1973
- Perfect Master on the Ropes ? Rolling Stone Magazine. (Issue No 145 - October 11, 1973, page 8)
- Blackjack Love New York Review of Books, December 13, 1973
- Guru Goons Loose Fifth Estate Magazine - December 1973 - Volume 8 No. 18
- When The Lord of All The Universe Played Houston Rolling Stone Magazine, Issue No 156 - March 14, 1974 (Page 36-50).
- An East Indian Teen-ager Says He Is God Vogue, March, 1974
- Salvation Slapstick with the Guru Maharaj Ji Creem magazine, March 1974, page 37-39.
- I See The Light Penthouse Magazine, July 1974
- Million Dollar Religion Ripoff Argosy Magazine, August 1974
- Guru Followers Beat Pie-Tosser Pittsburgh Press, August 16, 1973
- Hurler of Pie at Guru Is Beaten New York Times, 17th August 1973
- Get Your Red-Hot Panaceas! New York Times, 19th January 1974
- Soul Rush (Chapter 12) Sophia Collier