A LOOK INSIDE *********** DIVINE LIGHT MISSION
31 March 1975
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
We want to thank you for your donations during the past year, which have helped Guru Maharaj Ji's Mission to grow. But actually, we cannot even thank you: when we realize how much premies have cooperated and contributed, and how far the Mission has developed during 1974, we can only thank Guru Maharaj Ji. For he gave all of us Knowledge and the inspiration to practice it, and the love which impells us to share what we have with the people we meet.
As we begin this year of propagation, let's take a look together at where we are and where we hope to go.
1974 IN REVIEW
- Guru Maharaj Ji toured Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Kansas City, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Miami, Jamaica, Fiji Islands, Australia, and New Zealand.
- A West Coast headquarters was purchased to serve as an additional base for Guru Maharaj Ji's activities.
- Divine Light Mission began to develop its International Headquarters in Denver, which coordinates 116 branches in 59 countries.
- A total of 6,420 people received Knowledge in the United States and Canada.
- By the end of 1974, 572 ashram residents were serving in 24 cities, and 394 premies in 120 Divine Information Centers in the United States.
- More than 12,000 people attended Guru Puja in Amherst, Mass., and more than 8,000 attended Hans Jayanti in Toronto.
- "And It Is Divine" and "Divine Times" were published internationally. International editions of Who Is Guru Maharaj Ji? were published. Films, videotapes and cassettes of Maharaj Ji's satsangs, festivals, and Maharaj Ji's wedding were produced and distributed throughout the world.
- The World Welfare Association was organized as a social service program of Divine Light Mission to share love with the poor, the needy and the lonely. More than 2,000 people participated in a National Day of Thanks by visiting hospitals, prisons and nursing homes around the country.
PROCLAMATION FOR 1975
Guru Maharaj Ji ushered in 1975 with a proclamation (see p. 4): 1975 will be a year of propagation. He called for our joint effort.
Maharaj Ji explained at a recent Directors' meeting in Denver that we are spiritually ready; now we can communicate the message of Knowledge more effectively. He emphasized certain prerequisites for propagation, such as strong communities which can serve as propagational centers in each region; a sound financial base within the Mission; and, for every individual, satsang, service and meditation.
Community strength comes from spiritual strength. Throughout the country nightly attendance has increased both at the central community sat-sang and at satellite satsangs held in outlying suburbs. Many communities are planning for satsang halls and community centers. Meditation programs and classes are held more and more frequently, and all over the country many more meditation retreats, like the ones held nationwide on Holi weekend, are being planned throughout 1975. Specific propagational programs have grown from this strong spiritual base: WWA and PLA activities now involve thousands of premies in over 100 communities. Support systems such as food cooperatives are tying communities together on a practical level.
Four major festivals will be held this year: regional Holi Festivals were held at the end of March, the Guru Puja Festival in July in Caracas, Venezuela, a post Guru Puja Festival in Germany in August, and, "to garland the year's propagation efforts" Hans Jayanti will be held in the United States.
ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM
A natural outgrowth of our experience is the joy we feel in bringing happiness to other people; by helping Guru Maharaj Ji to spread Knowledge. Those who are inspired to work in this way are called active members of Divine Light Mission. They regularly support propagation with 10% of their income. Whenever possible, they are directly serving in Mission offices, centers, stores, WWA programs, or any other Mission-organized activity. They have offered Guru Maharaj Ji their time, energy, talents, and financial support to help him in his Mission.
As more premies experience Knowledge and begin to become active members, we will be able to fulfill Maharaj Ji's agya that we put the Mission on a sound financial footing. Though it has just begun, there are already active members in every major city, and in most DIC communities in the United States. If you would like more information concerning active membership, please write:
AMP, P.O. BOX 532, Denver, CO. 80201
STEPS TOWARD EFFICIENCY
Last year the public learned that the Mission was facing difficulty in meeting the sizeable obligations incurred from the Millennium '73 festival. However, thanks to the many contributions received during 1974, almost 2/3 of our obligations were met. The Active Membership Program and your continued support will soon enable the Mission to eliminate all past debts.
In addition to your support, our efforts to reduce current operating expenses and to increase our income included these steps:
- New financial and budgeting systems were instituted to manage our income more efficiently. Planning systems were revised to coordinate our activities more productively.
- The International Headquarters staff has been streamlined. Many premies have been sent from Denver to ashrams around the country to help establish strong communities.
- Many premies doing full time service in the Mission have taken part-time jobs, and community premies have participated in local activities to help the Mission.
- "And It Is Divine" will now be published quarterly instead of monthly and will be printed on the Mission's own presses.
- Our fundraising drive is ongoing. It is now aimed at eliminating our longstanding debt so that we can begin to carry out Maharaj Ji's agya to propagate Knowledge. To those of you who are already responding to this call, we send our sincere gratitude.
HOW TO SEND A DONATION
You can assure receipt of your donation and help us process it quickly by following this procedure:
- Please send a check or money order, made payable to Divine Light Mission, rather than cash. (Your cancelled checks are proof of your donations.)
- Include your full name and DUO account number if you know it.
- If you are already an active member, you will receive a coupon booklet shortly. Your gifts should be sent to the address listed on your coupons.
- If you are not living in a DUO or DIC community and would like to make a donation or desire more information on the Active Membership Program or Divine Light Mission, please write: Communities, P.O. BOX 532, Denver, CO. 80201
- For more information on how you can make a special contribution (i.e. wills, trusts, stocks, real estate, inheritances) please write: Fundraising, P.O. BOX 532, Denver, CO. 80201
In thanking you, and in realizing it is Guru Maharaj Ji we must really thank, we recall a little story:
Guru Maharaj Ji once asked his father, Shri Hans Ji Maharaj, how can I ever thank you for this gift of Knowledge? And Shri Hans Ji Maharaj replied that if you meditate, that is all the thanks I could ever want.
PROCLAMATION FOR 1975
In this world, the question has already been asked. The world has already started to face the problems, the problems which are vital for the human race. There is no need to discuss the problems, but I would like to present my opinion. In the midst of all this, I still sincerely think that this Knowledge, the Knowledge of God, the Knowledge of our Creator, is our solution. Many people might not think so, and carry a completely different opinion, but my opinion is that since man came on this planet Earth, he has always been taking from it. Remember, this planet Earth is not infinite, it is finite, and though it has alot to give, it is limited. Maybe now we can somehow manage to stagger along, cutting our standards of living, cutting gas, reducing the speed limit more, but the next very terrifying question is, "What about the future?"
I think this Knowledge which I have to offer this world, free of charge, is the answer. For if everybody can understand that everybody is a brother and sister, and this world is a gift, not a human-owned planet, and have the true understanding of such, we'll definitely bring peace, tranquility, love, and Grace, which we need so badly. I urge this world to try. I do not claim to be God, but do claim I can establish peace on this Earth by our Lord's Grace, and everyone's joint effort.
511 Sixteenth Street, Denver, Colorado 80202, (303) 623-8280 Telex #45925