Prem Rawat (Maharaji) - 1976 Press Articles
In 1976 stories about Prem Rawat's fall from grace began to dominate. Backgound stories on the "new cults" began to appear and Prem Rawat's DLM was always included in the list. And the newspapers began to report on the dwindling members and resources in Divine Light Mission. There are 38 newspaper articles about Prem Rawat posted here from 1976 when Rawat was 18 years old.
- 'Who's Who in Religion' Makes Debut Los Angeles Times, Jan 31, 1976
- Guru disowned by mother because he liked to live it up THE VALLEY INDEPENDENT, Saturday Feb 7, 1976
- Disowned Son Declared Head of DLM Group Monday, February 9, 1976 THE DAILY COURIER, CONNELLSVILLE, PA.
- Maharaj Ji Wins Fight For Mission Monday, Feb 20, 1976, The Washington Post
DLM's leader and administrators apparently believed that they could just say Prem Rawat was no longer the "Lord of the Universe" and hard nosed reporters would believe them even though premies were still bowing down to his photos.
- Spiritual group's claims, practices are changing EVENING CAPITAL Sat., March 6, 1976
- Teenage Guru to Change Style THE TIMES RECORDER FRI., MAR 5, 1976
- Maharaji group changing style to tone down Eastern ritualism Fri., Mar 6, 1976 GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE
- Tour Postponed Due To Insufficient Funds THE GETTYSBURG TIMES, Saturday, March 27, 1976
- About People SYRACUSE HERALD-JOURNAL, March 27, 1976
- Guru Changes Touring Plans HIGH POINT ENTERPRISE, Saturday, March 27, 1976
- Lack of funds postpones Guru's N. American tour GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE Sat., Mar 27, 1976
- Guru Mission's Earnings Placed At $3.78 Million CHARLESTON DAILY MAIL SAT. April 3, 1976
- LEADER OWNS LUXURY CARS Teen-Age Guru's Sect Grosses $3.78 Million Los Angeles Times, Apr 10, 1976
- Child Guru A Grown Up Friends Say UPI: Sunday, April 11, 1976; The Coshocton Tribune
- Guru Maharaj Ji To Launch World Tour To Aid Mission UPI: PLAYGROUND DAILY NEWS, Thursday Morning, April 15, 1976
- 'Deprogrammer' is charged with false imprisonment EVENING CAPITAL Mon., June 11, 1976
- 'Deprogrammer' of Cultists Faces New Charges The Los Angeles Times, June 15, 1976;
Though Rennie Davis has slunk off into the night, DLM was able to report on their new famous premie, Johnny Rodgers, pro football player and former Heisman Trophy Winner but the popular press had no mention of US Chess champion, John Grefe.
- Rodgers Follows Guru WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, Friday, January 23, 1976
- JR Finds Inner Peace LINCOLN JOURNAL SPORTS, Tuesday, Jan. 27, 1976
- A THRILL FOR RODGERS THE DAILY FREEMAN, KINGSTON, N.Y., Tuesday, Jan. 27, 1976
- Johnny Rodgers Says Guru Maharaj Ji Has It All Over Former President Nixon NEVADA STATE JOURNAL, Wednesday, Jan. 28, 1976
Backgound stories on the "new cults" began to appear and Prem Rawat's DLM was always included in the list.
- Battle of the Cults Seen in Washington February 12, 1976
- Guru's Cult Changinge Style YUMA DAILY SUN, Yuma, Arizona Sun., June 27, 1976
- Bizarre cults are attractive DAILY INTELLIGENCER Friday, July 14, 1976
- Religious communes demand devotion, sometimes bank books Associated Press
- Baby Maharaj Monday September 20, 1976 Columbus Telegram
- Son for Guru SYRACUSE POST-STANDARD Sept 21, 1976
Rennie Davis tried to get into politics.
- A Preview of the 1984 Run for the White House Los Angeles Times, Oct 17, 1976
And the newspapers began to report on the dwindling members and resources in Divine Might Mission.
- Times have changed for Guru Mon., November 22, 1976 GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE
- Declining Donations Dim Divine Light Mission The Lima News Monday, November 22, 1976
- Followers Fewer, Church Retrenching for Maharaj Ji The Charleston Gazette Friday, November 26, 1976
- Teenage Guru Having Tough Days FLORENCE MORNING NEWS Monday, November 22, 1976
- Guru Following Down, Tactics Changing Waterloo Courier, Thurs., Nov. 25, 1976
- Guru's following is falling away AP: EVENING CAPITAL Sat., Nov 27, 1976
- Guru's following is falling away AP: ALBERQUERQUE JOURNAL, Saturday Nov 27, 1976
- Ecstasy and agony Sunday, Dec. 12, 1976 THE LIMA NEWS
- BIZ BEFORE BLISS Columbus Telegram December 20, 1976
- Notes On People The New York Times December 21 1976
- Newsmakers The Los Angeles Times December 21 1976